Tuesday, March 7, 2017

These are my grandchildren

When it rains it pours. Ten months after first starting the certification process, I finally have been approved and placed with kids. My first was a non-English speaking teen girl who arrived around 11pm and was picked up for court by 8am the next day. The phone didn't stop ringing after that.

Knowing that most of my placements would be brief, I wanted to be as impactful as possible in the few hours I had. As soon as I get a call, I start praying for the child. I pray in their room, I pray that they'll see me as a safe place and that God will cover them in love when they are here. Then I put some brownies in the oven and light a nice smelling candle to make my home as welcoming as possible. When they arrive, I make sure my voice is gentle and my smile is sincere.

First I show them their room and let them put their stuff down. Then I show them the rest of the house so they are a bit familiar and a little more in control of their surroundings. Then I ask them if they've eaten and work on PB&J sandwiches or some spaghetti. Brownies are a win each time too. After sitting for a bit and asking a little about them and sharing a little about myself, I give them as much information about the next day as I can, giving them realistic expectations.

This was going great until I got the call from a case worker that mainly pairs up kids in group homes with long term foster care. She told me about two teen sisters, whose parents were unable to care for them ever again and needed a caregiver until they graduated. She then went on to tell me details of their past, their present and what to expect for the future. Everything inside of my heart, my mind and my spirit said Yes, I would love to care for them.



Protecting my story and fear of the future
Not caring about others reactions but not knowing what I'm stepping into

No comments:

Post a Comment