Monday, March 13, 2017

The honeymoon is over

They say I should get two weeks of perfect angels before the real, comfortable personality comes out. Well, with two teenage girls I got 4 days. Once they came home from scho on a Monday, the moodiness reared its head. 
Did I lose it, do I need to drag them out of their rooms and force them to hang out with me? Do I force my love and attention on them to show them that I want to be with them? When I was a teenager did I just want to be in my room all day?
So I resolved, I don't have to fix everything all at once. Is this even something that needs to be "fixed"
Well all it took was some space. I made a promise that tomorrow we'll start after-dinner-hang-time and tonight they can have their space.
Well an hour later, they came bounding out of their rooms ready to make lunches for tomorrow. Full of smiles, ready to be sweet.
Was I crazy? Were they? Are we all?
My goal is to stay consistent. You can't trust the mood of a 16 year old but I can be outgoing, welcoming, attentive and close by.
Will this be easy? Nope. Will I know what to do? Nope. Can I keep asking Jesus to take the wheel? Absolutely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment